Saturday, November 23, 2013

Blog Post #14

Create an assignment for a Blog Post I should have created in your area of speciality. Write the instructions that I should have put here. Then, do it. -Dr. Strange

Instructions:
Goal Setting: How will you have your students set goals for themselves in your future classroom? Do you feel that goal setting is important? Why or why not?

Goal Setting in the Elementary School Classroom

Possible

An area of study educators often overlook according to Goal Setting 101 is teaching our students how to set goals for themselves.

Teaching students to set personal goals begins with teaching them to believe in themselves. Many students start school with a very limited view of what they are capable of doing. Before I can teach them to set any kind of goal for themselves, I have to help remove those so called "limitations" from their thinking. It is so important that I teach my students to believe in themselves, because without that belief, they aren't likely to achieve their goals.

Secrets to Goal Setting According to "Goal Setting 101":

1. Write clear and measurable goals.
2. Create a specific action plan for each goal.
3. Read your goals daily and visualize yourself accomplishing them.
4. Reflect on your progress to see if you are on target.
5. Revise your action plans if needed.
6. Celebrate your accomplishments!

So, how can I encourage my students to remove limitations from their thoughts and start thinking towards high goals? I can first show my students examples of how others have overcome obstacles and achieved their goals. Seeking out inspirational stories of people who are relevant to my students' lives and sharing those stories will motivate my students to set goals for themselves. I could even have my students do a research project on someone they are interested in that has set goals and reached their goals. This person of inspiration could be a someone in their community, a family member, a famous athlete, a famous singer, etc. After completing this project, I would have my students set short-term goals (these goals could include making an A on their spelling test this week, behaving appropriately, making their bed every morning before school, etc) and long-term goals (these goals could include graduating high school, going to college, starting a business, etc). I would then have my students share their goals with their classmates, and then have my students post their goals on their class blog. I believe that if students share their goals, short-term and long-term, with an audience, they would be more likely to stay accountable in achieving those goals.

I believe it is so important for students to set short-term and long-term goals for themselves. When I was in elementary school, I did not know what college was until I was in the fifth grade. I feel that it is important for students to set goals for themselves that can be reached inside their classroom, but also set goals for themselves that can be reached outside the classroom. When I was young, I had no clue what my future could possibly hold! I want to help my students in understanding that planning for their future inside and outside of the elementary school classroom is something great to do. In my adult years, I set goals for myself every week, even if it is to only complete all my homework before the weekend so I can relax and enjoy a couple of days to myself. I have long-term goals such as graduating college, getting a job as an elementary school teacher, and buying a home. I have always been a very determined person and I have had a very supportive family, but what if I wasn't a determined person and lacked support? Would I believe in my abilities to be able to reach my goals? Would I even set goals for myself? This is exactly why I want to help my students BELIEVE in their abilities to accomplish whatever they are passionate about.

No comments:

Post a Comment